Monday 12 October 2009

Dan vs. Dan

Greetings, World!
I don't have a clever theme for this blog post. I thought about a few ideas but I decided to just go with the general update.

So the weather is getting colder. And not like "I love fall weather, let's wear a sweater" colder. I'm talking "Last week I was wearing short sleeves but now I'm putting on every article of clothing I own" colder. And it still rains just about every day. But there are some great rainbows (that's the view from the window above my desk!) Luckily, I have a very useful raincoat and many layers of warmth and an awesome hat to keep me warm and dry!

In recent news, I have a new roommate! We have a dorm suite with a common kitchen and bathroom, then two bedrooms with two guys each. The guy who lived on my side, Sergiy, decided to move into an apartment across town because it is apparently cheaper to live there and commute to campus. So a new guy moved in this weekend. His name is Tsikhan (pronounced Tea-Honn) He's a freshmen from Belarus and he's really friendly and talkative. My other roommates are Dima and Vanya, who are both second-year business majors from Ukraine. They're super nice and friendly too. It's a good time!

So I have furthered my cultural culinary endeavors by making Šaltibarščiai, a traditional Lithuanian beet soup that is served cold. I tried it at a restaurant and really liked it! So I got some beets and learned to make it myself, with a little help from Vanya. It involves alot of vegetables and some keefir, which I had never had before. It is sometimes served with a boiled potato. Here's a picture (it's from the internet, but this is pretty much what mine looked like!) I also got to try eating pig's ear (reminded me of a bacon-flavored fruit-rollup) and some kind of squid (reminded me of a bacon-flavored soggy marshmallow).

I've been keeping pretty busy lately, with worship team and rehearsals for The Crucible (see previous posts for more on that). And I've also been doing alot with my teaching practicum class. Up until last week I was just visiting the local public high school and observing the English class. Last Tuesday I actually got to present one of the activities for the class, which was fun. And this Tuesday I got to teach an entire lesson! The students are in eleventh grade and they've been taking English classes for about seven years, so they speak near-fluently and know some pretty in-depth grammatical concepts. I got to teach them about writing informal letters. They read some examples from their textbook about friends writing letters and asking questions about hobbies and music and stuff. Then I decided to have the class write a short letter to me, asking me questions to get to know me better! (I'll be teaching more and more throughout the semester, so it was a good icebreaker.) They asked me how I like Lithuania and how it's different from USA and what music I like and what my hobbies are, and all sorts of fun stuff. It took a while for the students to warm up to me, because their regular teacher is quite strict and doesn't really promote peer interaction much during class. They didn't really know how to respond to my style at first, but by the end I think they liked me. It was a little strange since some of them are less than 5 years younger than me, but I really liked it, and the teacher is giving me alot of freedom to do fun things. It's cool to be "the authority" on English and pronunciation when it come really easily to me, although it's intimidating too because most of these kids know three or four languages and I only know like one and a half...

Next week is the last week of classes before Fall Break! The break occurs exactly halfway through the semester and it's a week long. The study abroad program is sponsoring a trip to Russia, and I'm super excited about it! We'll be in Moscow for 4 days then we'll go to St. Petersburg for 4 more days! Usually on these trips we have alot of freedom to go places and see stuff and do whatever we want so tell me, World - WHAT SHOULD I DO IN RUSSIA???? Any suggestions? What should I see? Where should I go?? What weird or wacky item should I take a picture of??? What kind of souvenirs should I purchase???? So many choices! I'll do a blog post with lots of pictures when I get back! For now, I've got one more week of classes before then...

Don't forget to check out my pictures on Picasa!
I put some pictures of Riga and Tallinn on there (see previous blog post)
Also, if you miss me, Skype me! My Skype name is stan.doddard

Does anyone have a request for what I should write about in my blog (about Russia, or Lithuania, or just in general)? If you have any questions or queries, or perhaps even a quandary or two, write a comment on this blog post and I'll address it in my next post! You can also suggest stuff for me to take pictures of if there's something you want to see...

3 comments:

  1. Hello Dan,
    I don't skype but hopefully this will let you know you are missed. You are certainly turning this adventure into your own. I am glad to hear that you are doing well with your students. As far as what to see in Moscow, I am afraid I have no first hand experience there, but I am looking into the addresses of church of Christ out there. Our church was affiliated with one in the past, and as soon as I get the information, I will pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, bacon-flavored soggy marshmallows..you've got us salivating, Dan!!
    Great post! Love that rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan, Hope this gets to you in time for your Russia trip.

    Things to see in Moscow:

    Red Square
    Kremlin
    Church of St Basil
    Opera House
    Gum department store
    The great Lego store

    Things to see in St Petersburg:

    Church of the Split Blood
    Canals
    Cazrs summer palace
    HERMITAGE MUSEUM - a must
    Home and museum of the royal family killed by the revolutionist

    Things to buy:

    Wooden dolls that fit together
    Russian fur hat

    Have fun - both great cities.

    GranFox - and GramE

    ReplyDelete