Tuesday 17 November 2009

Dan vs. Reverend Parris

Hello, World!
This weekend we had our performances of The Crucible. We had a performance on Friday night, one on Saturday night, and the final one on Sunday afternoon. I was a little worried about how it would go. We had been rehearsing three times a week and I had a class conflicting with one of the weekly practice times, so I missed one out of three rehearsals every week and had to catch up for the next rehearsal. But by dress rehearsals I was up to speed, memorized and ready for the show. There is no theater department here at LCC, so we had to be creative with the staging, sets, and costumes. We performed on a "stage" that was really more of a small platform in a lecture hall. And most of the cast had never been on stage before, so I wasn't expecting much, just doing it for fun. But the show turned out really well! I was pleasantly surprised!
For anyone who has read The Crucible, you can imagine that the role of Rev. Parris is a distinct departure from my usual role as the humorous supporting character. I had quite a few dramatic moments where I got to put on my "serious face" (yes - Dan has a serious face!) Some of the scenes (such as the iconic courtroom scene) are very tense and dramatic, with alot of yelling and accusations. I had a good time. There will be a DVD of the entire show, so if you want to see it, come find me!
For now, here's a picture of me with the other guys from the play (we're in costume, but not in character - Puritans don't smile)
And here is Rev. Parris with his daughter Betty (on the bed), niece Abigail Williams (kneeling), and neighbors Ann and Thomas Putnam
In other news, I have a little more free time now that the show is over, so I guess now I'm just enjoying my final month in Europe! Some friends and I will be taking a weekend trip to a Lithuanian city called Kaunas which is about four hours away. We'll go for two days and see the sights and fun stuff like that (apparently it's the cultural capitol of Lithuania, so it should be good) My semester has been great so far, I can't believe it's going by so quickly! Any suggestions? What should I do/get pictures of/bring back?
See you soon!

1 comment:

  1. The man with the hat is so hot ! i want to know him ! i'm realy excited !

    ReplyDelete