Sunday 6 September 2009

Dan vs. the Potatoes

Well, I've been in Lithuania for almost two weeks now and I'm settling into dorm life at LCC. The major difference is that we have no meal plan, so we get to go shopping and cook food for ourselves every night. The cheapest thing to buy here is potatoes, and I've heard that Lithuanians have 30 different ways to cook them. I haven't learned any authentic Lithuanian recipes, but I've made up my own versions of some potato dishes. Lithuanian food typically involves meat and potatoes, which I can definitely get used to. Bread and cheese are big here too. Sausage is prevalent and Dark Russian bread, which is very dense, is also popular. A traditional appetizer is called Kepta Duona and is made of bread slices covered in a mayonnaise-cheese sauce. It has a sort of garlic taste too, it's excellent!
There's some Kepta Duona (almost gone) and behind it is a drink called Kvass. It's supposedly made from bread. It smells like a musty shoe and tastes like flat root beer combined with coffee and vomit. Delicious.Alot of food is similar to American food too - like this chicken with vegetables over rice. There were some different spices than we're used to but it was a pretty familiar dish. There are also many American companies, like Coca-Cola and (of course) McDonald's, and things like ketchup, mayonnaise, and almost any type of soda are all readily available. I've been trying to experience European products and foods as much as possible. My favorites have been the sausage, the aforementioned Kepta Duona, and a really good brand of chocolate called Karuna. I'll try to learn how to make some good food to share with people when I get back... and maybe I'll bring back some chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment